Photography Permit Agreement & Policy
We are delighted that you are considering Charles Krug Winery as the location for your photos. The guidelines outlined below are intended for all guests, but a permit is necessary for those who wish to use Charles Krug Winery as a backdrop for posed or directed photography. We ask all photographers to please help us maintain the enjoyment of Charles Krug Winery (CKW) by honoring these policies. The CKW estate houses a working winery, complete with winery production and bottling facilities on property. Therefore, CKW holds specific guidelines regarding where our guests are permitted to go. This is for all of our guest’s safety and the safety of our employees.
Guests are welcome to take snapshot photographs of the winery, individuals, and subjects that capture the experience of your visit. CKW defines a snapshot as an informal photograph that is shot spontaneously and quickly without artistic intent. Guests should still observe our policies under General Photography Guidelines. We encourage guests to share their photos of their CKW tasting experience on social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and tag us in your images! (@CharlesKrugWinery)
Definition of Portrait Photography
CKW defines portrait photography as all wedding, engagement, family, maternity, glamour, personal blog, portfolio, prom, graduation, and any other posed portraiture of individuals by professional photographers or amateur photographers, whether paid or unpaid, utilizing the CKW facilities and property as backdrop of images. CKW reserves the right to further define Portrait Photography on a case-by-case basis.
Commercial photography is defined as any photography produced for publication or promotional use. CKW specifically reserves all rights for photographic reproduction of CKW tasting room, Carriage House, guest house, grounds and surrounding property. CKW reserves the right to license vendors, collect royalties, and initiate fees or otherwise control use of CKW. CKW reserves the right to approve final content for anything in which CKW or its properties will appear, either by name or by visual representation. Commercial photography requires approval from our Marketing Department. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for prior approval.
General Photography Guidelines
Please adhere to the following guidelines to make your photography session successful and enjoyable.
- Flow of visitors and traffic along driveways and pathways must not be blocked at any time.
- Pets (with the exception of service animals) and outside alcohol are not allowed.
- Please be mindful that wedding ceremonies and other events may be taking place in close proximity to the allowed photography locations. If members of a photography party are unruly and disturb other guests’ experience, the Napa Valley Wine Train property/tracks or winery production facility operations they will be asked to leave CKW and photography and admission fees will not be refunded.
- Please do not move, alter, or draw on any structures/property.
- Please take all props or materials with you and leave CKW as you found it. Glitter, sparklers, smoke bombs, open flame, confetti, rice and fake snow are prohibited.
- The use of drones is strictly prohibited.
- Please check in with the manager on duty in the Tasting Room upon arrival to obtain the official photographer credentials:
- Lanyard with photographer name, date, and session time
- Lanyard must be clearly displayed at all times
- Lanyard must be returned when session is completed
- CKW does not provide staff to assist with or monitor photography sessions. A property map will be provided to indicate where photos are permitted. Photography outside of approved areas on property is not permitted, and trespass into prohibited areas will be cause for immediate ending of photography session without refund of session fee(s), as well as revocation of Photographer’s permit.
- Wedding photographers working with a bridal couple who have booked their wedding at CKW are exempt from purchasing a permit as long as their work is limited to wedding activities for that couple. Wedding photographers must schedule a shoot time no later than 72 hours in advance if the shoot is not scheduled for the couple’s rental time.
- CKW reserves the right to deny access to sections of the winery and property due to booked events.
- Rescheduling must be agreed upon by CKW prior to the new shoot date. There are no refunds. In case of inclement weather, call 707-967-2229 to reschedule.
- Photography policies are subject to change without notice.
A permit is required for all posed formal photography and videography. Permit sales are subject to availability; the number of permits sold for each day is limited. Permits must be purchased in advance online or through the tasting room. Photo session blocks are from 9-11 am, 11 am–1 pm, and 1-3 pm Sunday through Friday; blackout dates may apply. A minimum of three (3) business days is required to process the permit; a $25 charge is added to last-minute requests of less than three business days.
One-Time Use Photography Permit = $300
- This is a one-time use permit for one photographer.
Annual Photography Permit = $550
- Permit is good for one named photographer for one year.
- If more than one photographer is associated with a company, additional permits may be purchased for $50 per permit.
- With purchase of annual photography permit, individual session reservations are still required, but at no additional cost.
Please email our Tasting Room Manager, Anton Van de Plas, at email@example.com to request your photo shoot reservation.
Photographer shall be responsible for and does hereby relieve, release, and indemnify Charles Krug Winery (CKW), including its members, staff, volunteers, board members and guests, for all costs, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including attorney fees) by reason of any injury or damage to any person or property upon the premises occupied and used by the Photographer where such injury or damage was caused by or as a result of the acts or failure to act of the Photographer, agents, workers, subjects, clients, models or employees. CKW shall not be liable or responsible to the Photographer, the Photographer’s clients or to anyone else by reason of theft, disappearance, or damage sustained by the Photographer or others in connection with the use or storage of items at CKW. The signing of a Photographer Permit Agreement and Policy does not stipulate exclusive use of CKW. CKW reserves the right to refuse admittance for photography and/or change its Photographer Policy without advance notice.
Note regarding the Napa Valley Wine Train
CKW features the Napa Valley Wine Train tracks through the estate, which transport guests on a daily basis. The train tracks are strictly prohibited for any guest to approach on foot within a 10-foot breadth on either side of tracks without permission from the Napa Valley Wine Train. This portion of property is owned by the Napa Valley Wine Train, who maintain full rights to their property.